Monday, April 4, 2011

The New American Dream

As the tale o' tale goes, the American dream has, since I can remember, consisted of a white picket fence, brick fireplace, 2.5 kids, a dog and a cat. Dreamy, right?


And as it seemed, it was working quite well for most. Until the recession hit. What did we see beside the market crash, unemployment rate skyrocket? Well, leading up to it, we could say the rise in divorce rates, crime, obesity, debt and general unhappiness for a while now. 

Let's face it, the American dream ain't so shiny. So what does work, I ask.

The generation emerging knows that building their own path is the only thing that guarantees success--and a college degree does not (although I highly recommend going to college no matter how much spirit of the entrepreneur you might have).

The American dream I have is much more focused on the little things in life and a strange concept: stepping away from the norm, waking up from the dream. '

What isn't working in this picture? Obviously too much of almost anything gets us in the red, so I say let's move on back to the black.

Before I tell you my ideas, I'd like to hear yours. Shout them out here, I'll be waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment